Tech Tip: Web Workbench (WbApplet) fails to load with Java 7 Update 21
Date: Apr 29, 2013
Revision: AX 3.7.46 and later
After updating to Java 7 Update 21, WbApplet will only load successfully once. Additional attempts to open
WbApplet will fail. Clearing the applet cache will again allow WbApplet to load once. This problem has only
been encountered using Java 7 Update 21.
A workaround for this problem is to not keep temporary internet files on the local computer. Follow the steps
1. Open the Java Control Panel to change this setting.
• In Windows, click Start > Control Panel > Java > General Tab > Temporary Internet Files > Settings
• Uncheck the box that says "Keep temporary files on my computer".
• Apply the new setting.
• Close the Java Control Panel.
2. Clear the browser's cache. Clear the temporary internet files, cookies and history.
NOTE: Each browser is cleared differently. Use the browser's help for information on clearing its cache.
3. Delete all the files in the 'wbapplet' cache.
NOTE: In Windows, clicking Start > Run... and entering %userProfile% will open the local Windows
<Windows user dir>\niagara\wbapplet\modules
4. Delete everything in the 'Secondary Applet' cache.
• Windows 7: <Windows user dir>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
• Windows XP: <Windows user dir>\Application data\sun\java\deployment\cache
NOTE: You can also delete this cache from within the Jave Control Panel accessed via the Windows
• On the General tab, click on Settings, then Delete Files. Check everything and press OK.
5. Restart the browser (this also clears the session cookies).
Please consult the following document for more recent info
Information and/or specifications published here are current as of the date of publication of this document.
Tridium, Inc. reserves the right to change or modify specifications without prior notice. The latest product
specifications can be found by contacting our corporate headquarters, Richmond, Virginia. Products or features
contained herein are covered by one or more U.S. or foreign patents. This document may be copied by parties
who are authorized to distribute Tridium products in connection with distribution of those products, subject to
Page 1 of 2 Publication Apr 29, 2013
Page 2 of 2 Web Workbench (WbApplet) fails to load with Java 7 Update 21 Apr 29, 2013
the contracts that authorize such distribution. It may not otherwise, in whole or in part, be copied, photocopied,
reproduced, translated, or reduced to any electronic medium or machine-readable form without prior written
consent from Tridium, Inc. Complete confidentiality, trademark, copyright and patent notifications can be found
JACE, Niagara Framework, Niagara AX Framework and the Sedona Framework are trademarks of Tridium, Inc.
(c)Copyright 2013 Tridium Inc. All Rights Reserved
3951 Westerre Parkway, Suite 350 Richmond, VA 23233
Phone: 804.747.4771 Fax: 804.747.5204